Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day!!

Every four years we are fortunate to stand in line to cast our vote for the President of the Unites States. The highest executive office. WOW.
Today was great - I got up, went to Precinct 1 that is literally the driveway next to our neighborhood to the church that occupies the voting polls, and cast my votes. I spent exactly one hour doing my civic duty. That felt great. Bummer thing is, they didn't have any of those "I voted!" stickers. No free Starbucks for me. :( It's the one day that we as adults can get away with wearing a sticker that doesn't say, "Hello, my name is..."
I do think it's interesting that I step through church doors to vote, though. Isn't there separation of church and state? Doesn't this violate some crazy rule? Not that I care but it does ring ironic.
I will share my views on my political soapbox for today, because it doesn't happen very often. If everyone turned out this much for every election, we'd sure have a big say in what goes on in our own neighborhoods. It would create much more responsibility for those elected to the local, county, and state civic offices. Why can't we? Not only did I fill in a circle for whom I feel is best suited for President, I filled in circles for county sheriff, county executive, school board members, and judicial seats. I did research on who's names I would see there to make sure I could fill in those circles, proudly and responsibly for those that make decisions every day for my kids, my neighbors, my community. So, cast your votes today and be proud that you made them count. Not just for Obama or McCain, but for your choices for your communities. And make sure you show up for the next one, and the one after that - not just again in 2012. Ok, I'm climbing down now.
Have a wonderful day everyone! I'll be tired tomorrow for staying up to watch history unfold.
~ Emily

No comments: