Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I believe in...

being honest. It's a value that I like to say that I weave through my everyday life. I haven't always been honest. Not with myself, not with those in my life. I have lost some really good friends and loved ones because honesty was not a value that I was emotionally mature enough at the time to embrace. I have made some choices that ended up creating pain because I wasn't being honest when I made them. I try to be honest now whenever possible. I have gained more by being honest than I have lost so this value means so much to the integrity of my "self" than ever. It seems like such an easy thing to do, right? I think it can be easy. I think it can be terribly difficult. Sometimes I can be too honest. I also speak bluntly, which can be abrasive to the person that I am speaking to. I know that about myself. It's a fault, a weakness, a challenge for me. It's something I strive to be conscious of when I relate to others. I would like to believe that sometimes this "speaking my mind" trait is also good for those that appreciate getting to the point. Ha! I try to withhold my honesty if I think it will be better for the other person. When I'm aware that I'm being too honest, I try a bit harder to phrase what I am expressing for the other person so that my response is a bit more diplomatic than I really feel. Sometimes I wish more were honest toward me so I can continue to improve on my honesty skills. I'm a work in progress and like to think I get better with age. Wisdom, maturity, and reflection really do prove to be infinitely helpful, I say. I'll be so great at honesty if I age into my 80's, right?! Sometimes I wonder if I'm being honest enough. With my doubts, my fears, my successes, and my triumphs. A looking glass can be scary honest so choosing to not be that honest with myself is a self-preservation masher. How do I get past the slump I've been in? Well, by being honest with why I've digressed from my intended path. I've had to do some soul searching and self-evaluation to honestly see what I needed to see. I am ready to self-medicate. Being honest with myself is the best medicine. So today, as I am re-writing my goals and focusing on the path I want to be on, I believe honesty will lead the way.
What do you believe in?

3 comments:

gooseandsissy said...

Em Im with you girl. Ive been told by many that Im an open book, what you see is what you get. Ive also been told that I say it exactly how it is. To me these are good trates to have and Im very proud to be known as this person :-)

Shannon

Unknown said...

I wrote a direct email to my boss yesterday asking her not to go to my subordinate when she should come to me instead. Guess who has to report to her office Monday morning?! Not everyone can handle honesty, but yes, wouldn't the world be nice if they could? Life is too short and relationships are too valuable to lie.

Nicole Maki said...

Wonderful, thought provoking post.

I think tempering blunt honesty with diplomacy and compassion is an admirable goal.

Too often people will dismiss the message if the messenger delivers it without practicing kindness as well.